Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Character Backgrounds

Here's a bit on how this story came to be set up the way it is.

Laurel was a CAS I made to explore Belladonna Cove. Naturally, she was to be a witch. She was also a fortune Sim with a LTW to be a criminal mastermind. But, she had no interest in crime. I thought about making her a gambler, but she had a high interest in culture and I didn't feel like trying to find a custom roulette wheel for her, so I decided she'd just be a golddigger instead.

I sent her out to meet a witch and some rich guys. She met
Eaxis sim Benjamin Baldwin and fell for him instantly. Later, I downloaded ACR to check their attraction score. It was 245! (That was after about five dates.) Since she was so in love with Ben, she obviously couldn't be a golddigger any more, and meanwhile, I'd turned those two Eaxis sisters into witches, so I decided since Laurel had a high interest in fashion, I'd just have her date Ben and open a clothing boutique.

Then I noticed Ben was married.

D'oh. I'm forever hooking up my sims without remembering to check for wedding rings.

So now the big question was: Why is a married man so totally in love with some random woman?

I checked out Ben's household and was intrigued.

Here's Isabel, no job, and only one active point. On free will, all she does is goof off. She won't even eat unless Ben cooks and calls her to the meal. She just snarfs from the fridge. She was so bad about drinking from the milk carton instead of cooking, I thought that I'd accidentally installed a no-autonomy fridge hack, but nope, it really was due to Isabel being lazy.

So I decided Isabel must be a stay at home mom who does not care enough about her children to actually do the hard work required of a full time mommy.

This = tragedy + drama.

And a good excuse for Ben to despise her.

Marcus is mostly a blank slate, but Sophie's personality added some more fun. She has nine active points. Since she and her mother are almost totally opposites in that regard, I decided they would not get along. And, dear Sophie has a high interest in politics. What kind of politics would a child be interested in? Well, maybe she is interested in kiddie drama at school. I decided to make her the kind of girl that tattles and bullies and gossips and just generally messes with her classmates' heads.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I adjusted a few more tidbits to make this work. Since Ben's job is "inventor", I made him an alternative fuel researcher. I moved his family into a house. I gave Ben and Laurel romance for their secondary aspirations. And since Ben had already given Laurel a fancy TV as a gift for a dream date, I put in a bit about him helping her set up her business. I had her buy the smallest store that came with Bluewater Village, and now she's busily sewing custom outfits to stock her store. Meanwhile, poor Ben is trying to squeeze in time to see her, but he's usually pretty busy taking care of his kids after work. He doesn't get much sleep.

I have no idea what's going to happen in this story. I'm letting my Sims do whatever they want for the most part, and working their actions into the story as I go. I've put a ton of CAS sims of different backgrounds into their hood, so they will have plenty of interesting people to interact with down the road.

With an initial set up like this, I think it's going to be a fun story!

No comments:

Post a Comment